Minutes of the Road Captain Meeting 06-28.19

The June meeting was held on 27 June at the Loyal Hound with the following RCs in attendance:
Fritz Besch
Doug Fairfield
Gilbert Gurule
Harry Nichols
John Nuttman
Bob Parnell
Glen Post

Not present were:
Rob Lunn
Daniel Reiher
Dizzy Jake
Tom Johnson

Everyone agreed that the monthly meeting was beneficial to allow us to build better group dynamics and clearer alignment with each other on our roles as Road Captains.  Action items captured during the meeting are at the end of this message.  Please reply to this message and let me know you are committed to the action and due date assigned to you. 

I know some of you let me know that you had conflicts with this meeting.  As always, If any of you no longer want to participate as a RC for the SDC Chapter please let me know ASAP.  The only way this works is if every one in the RC role is doing it because they believe in the value it brings to the Chapter and to themselves.

The first item discussed was Passing:  
It was agreed that we would discuss passing during ride briefings to assure that everyone knows that it is the individuals responsibility of when to pass.  No RC is expected to plan a group pass such that everyone passes at the same time.  It’s hard enough to anticipate distances required for your own pass and almost impossible to anticipate distances required for a group!  The RC will initiate a pass when coming upon a vehicle is moving at a rate below the speed limit and everyone will pass that vehicle when they feel comfortable in passing.  While a passing event is in operation, the Lead RC will “wait” for everyone to complete the pass before resuming normal group riding speed.  Interstate riding was discussed as one of the exceptions where a RC may want to pass as a group, by initiating lane changes around a slow moving vehicle.  Otherwise, our roads don’t support group passing and no RC should be expected to anticipate necessary distances required for an entire group to pass.  An individual shouldn’t be expected to blindly follow a RC into a group pass.  In no uncertain terms is a RC to pass in a no passing zone or in any other illegal fashion.  

The next item discussed was Speed:
It was agreed that RCs will abide by the speed limits and not exceed +5MPH over while leading a ride.  Lots of discussion about whether or not riders were affected by excessive speed ensued with no real conclusions.  It is clear that our HOG General Liability insurance will not cover any accident in an excessive speed ride.  It is also a strong possibility that riders in the group that don’t want to go above the speed limit will not voice displeasure with riding too fast but will just cease to ride with us.  We discussed the need to maximize participation in HOG events to be as beneficial to our sponsor as possible.

We discussed concerns about new riders and identified two new members that we need to watch and be sure to place at the rear of the group until their skills improve.  Part of why you need to attend these meetings is to learn the names of these individuals and to help us identify others.

I asked if there were any roads that we needed to be concerned about or that we needed to check out before a group ride.  Glen said that Hwy 84 and the chip-sealing that is going on needs to be avoided.  He also said that Hwy 14 going south was also undergoing chip-sealing.  In general, when we are riding on roads that have loose gravel (chip-sealing), the RC needs to issue a single-file signal, slow down, and position everyone in the far right side of the lane to stay away from passing vehicles throwing up rocks and breaking headlights.
Gilbert said he would like to check out Hwy 570 before he leads a ride there.  He was urged to send out a note to other RCs to do a checkout ride with him of that HWY.

The last item on the agenda was RC Supplies:
I informed everyone about the metal SDC HOG cabinet that is in the parts area of the dealership.  We will keep several items in that cabinet for RCs and Sweeps to access for each ride.  A clipboard with all the forms on it will be maintained by the Head RC, at least four first aid kits will be kept current and maintained by the Safety Officer, and safety vests will be available for the Lead RC and Sweep for at least two groups.  It will be the responsibility of the Lead RC and Sweep to be sure these items are returned to the cabinet before they are needed by the next rides’ Lead RC and Sweep.  (The cabinet key is on a magnet stuck on the right side near the back of the metal cabinet.)

Open discussion included talk about group riding, the 2 second rule, Bike Nite, Evening Rides, Policing each other (RCs), and how to get new bike owners to join the Chapter.  

Action Items:

  1. Get the forms clipboard put together and placed in the SDC HOG cabinet – Fritz before the next Chapter Ride
  2. Get at least four of the First Aid Kits checked out properly stocked and brought up to date – Bob before July 25 (Next RC Meeting)
  3. Get appropriate number of safety vests ready for use to support at least two groups of Lead RC and Sweep – Bob before July 25
  4. Facilitate Bob’s needs for funds to achieve Actions 2 and 3 – Gilbert and Glen
  5. Include a bit of verbiage on the staggered formation in the group riding article for the July Newsletter – Gilbert by 28 June
  6. Write an article for the newsletter outlining the RC Meeting and agreements we made about Passing and Speed – Fritz by 28 June 

Thanks to all that attended for the commitment, effort, and engaging discussions!

Fritz

This entry was posted in General Posting. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply